Thinly slice onions gently carmelizing them prior to assembly.
approximate 30 - 40 minutes
0ne 8 inch Tart or Pie Crust. prebaked
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds sweet onions, thinly sliced
2 large organic farm eggs
1 Cup heavy whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1. Prepare the crust and set aside
2. Carmelize onions on very low heat until golden through. This step takes patience and time. Do not rush to maximize the sweetness.
3. Whisk together the eggs, cream and seasonings
4. To assemble the tart, spread onions across the crust. Pour in the egg & cream mixture. Without stirring, place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Remove and cool slightly, then serve right away or at room temperature.
This tart makes a great main course with fresh greens, or as an appetizer for a gathering.
Can be baked in small single serving tart shells, as well.
Gardeners' Community Cookbook